Education in Environmental Sciences
The Educational Programme of the CML
CML’s education programme aims at training (under)graduate and graduate students for integrated and multidisciplinary sustainability research and for better decision making in managing the world’s natural resources, environmental quality and biodiversity. CML acts as the centre for sustainability expertise in education programmes of Leiden University.
In the bachelors curriculum CML offers a general interdisciplinary minor on sustainable development. Staffs of the two research programmes of CML, conservation biology and industrial ecology and staff from other university departments, work together in this minor to offer a comprehensive and analytical view of sustainability issues to students from all faculties.
Furthermore CML participates in the bachelor programmes of:
- Biology (EBC)
- Liberal Arts and Sciences (LUC) with a Major Sustainability
- Molecular Science and Technology
In the Master curriculum CML offers three programs:
- In collaboration with Delft University of Technology (TUD), CML provides a MSc programme in Industrial Ecology. This programme is open to both natural and social scientists, with an adaptation part to bring them to the level of beta-gamma integrated sustainability science.
- Conservation biology education is one of the core themes of the Biology Master specialisation Evolution, Biodiversity and Conservation and provides those interested with the opportunity to specialize in Conservation Biology. This Master specialisation is organised jointly with the Institute of Biology Leiden (IBL), the Dutch National Herbarium (NHN) and Naturalis, prospective partners in the National Centre of Biodiversity (NCB).
- The Erasmus Mundus Industrial Ecology in collaboration with Delft university of Technology, University of Graz in Austria & Chalmers University of Technology in Göteborg offers an unique international Industrial Ecology education. This new two-year 120 ECTS Mind progamme starts in September 2011.
Finally CML participates in national and international PhD training programmes. See the PhD progamme of CML.