- Start date: December 2009
- End date: June 2013
- Contact: Reinout Heijings
- Commissioner: EU-FP7
LC-IMPACT is a three year continuing project, which aims to develop and further improve upon life cycle impact assessment methods, characterisation factors and normalisation factors in a coherent and scientifically sound way. It complements and builds upon the life cycle impact assessment (LCIA) work done in the context of the European platform for LCA and the UNEP-SETAC Life Cycle Initiative. The methodological improvements will be demonstrated in the context of three case studies:
- food production (margarine, fresh tomatoes and fish)
- paper production and printing
- car production and operation
The main objectives of the project include:
- Develop new impact assessment methods for categories that are not (commonly) included in life cycle impact assessments and categories for which model uncertainties are very high i.e. land use, water exploitation, resource use and noise.
- Provide spatially explicit characterization factors based on a global scale for land use, water exploitation, toxicants, priority air pollutants and nutrients.
- Provide quantitative information on various sources of uncertainty in life cycle impact assessment methods and corresponding factors.
See the LC-Impact website for more information and results.